Chicago is home to a variety of very well known and amazing museums, and whether you are visiting from out of town, or are a Chicagoan simply looking to explore more of these hometown gems, there is something for everyone. The Kohl Children’s Museum, a unique treasure of a museum that we at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore wholeheartedly recommend, is nestled into Chicago’s North Shore. This museum is perfect for family outings or just getting out of the house for a few hours. It is both engaging and educational. Conveniently located in Glenview, the Kohl Children’s Museum is a destination that both adults and kids alike will enjoy.
Kohl’s Children’s Museum has been a staple in the community from its founding in 1985 at the original location in Wilmette. Serving the community for over thirty years, it has inspired children to learn through play. In 2005 the museum moved to its new permanent location in Glenview. This new location boasts an impressive sixteen permanent exhibits, all of which are housed indoors, making this museum the perfect escape on a rainy or frigid day. Unlike most museums in Chicago, the Kohl Children’s Museum is designed for children from birth to age eight.
The sixteen permanent interactive exhibits are diverse and allow children to play, learn, and explore all of the Museum. Each exhibit teaches specific lessons through play. The “Baby Nursery” allows children to examine and treat babies, care, dress, and feed them. This exhibit teaches children how to play the nurturing role of the caregivers in their lives while also teaching how to properly handle babies. One of our favorite areas of the museum is the “Whole Foods Market”. The Kohl’s Children’s Museum transformed this exhibit into a replica working play market. Kids can do everything from working the deli counter and bakery to scanning groceries, helping other children check out, and restocking the shelves. We especially love this exhibit because it teaches children to use their imagination, to role-play, to use simple math like counting and addition and subtraction, as well as how to have friendly and personal interactions with other children.
While the permanent exhibits always make for a fun day of exploring and learning, the Museum also offer daily special events. This month they have a variety of events to partake in. These events include:
- The Art Adventures program that takes place daily and teaches art activities that patrons can take home and make at home.
- A Baby & Me time for parents of newborns which allows parents to socialize.
- A dog safety class that teaches children some basics to help prevent bites.
- The Fitness for All program that focuses on getting and staying healthy.
- Theatre Games which explores a variety of creative theater exercises.
- If you are looking to introduce your child to math, then check out Math Counts.
- Or maybe you are want to introduce your little one to the world of science, well then Science Sleuths is the perfect class for you.
- Story time that takes place every Monday at 11 an and every Wednesday at 3:30 pm. You can find out which books will be read each week here.
The best part of the Kohl Children’s Museum is that each exhibit and program targets specific educational benefits, and all of the exhibits and programs are aligned with the Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards.
While the Museum is open seven days a week, the hours do differ each day, and you can find them here. The Kohl Children’s Museum is the perfect way to introduce your little ones to a world of exploration. Stop by and enjoy a fun, stress-free family day out today!
Visiting Chicago this winter? Reserve a room at the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, located a short complementary shuttle ride from the Kohl Children’s Museum.